Dr. Jeanie Lau
BA, BVSc (Hons1), DACVIM (Neurology)
Dr. Jeanie Lau graduated from veterinary school at The University of Sydney in 2012. Dr. Lau’s love for neurology started with her neuroscience undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College in the United States. During her first degree, she gained further experience in the field of neurology as a research assistant in brain science laboratories at Dartmouth College and at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Dr. Lau practiced for two years in busy private hospitals in Australia before completing her specialty rotating internship, and subsequently a Neurology/Surgery internship at the Small Animal Specialist Hospital (SASH) in Sydney, Australia. She advanced her training in neurology and neurosurgery at the University of Melbourne in 2016 before pursuing her Neurology/Neurosurgery residency at the North Carolina State University Veterinary Hospital in the United States. In 2019, Dr. Lau became a Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, board-certified in the speciality of neurology.
Prior to joining the VSH family, Dr. Lau worked as a registered veterinary neurologist and neurosurgeon at the Small Animal Specialist Hospital in Sydney. She was born and raised in Hong Kong and is very excited to return home to set up the Neurology Service at VSH. She is passionate about patient care and is dedicated to working closely with owners and referring veterinarians to achieve the best care for her patients. She has special interests in neuroimaging (MRI), inflammatory brain diseases (meningitis) and performing spinal surgeries to help patients walk again.
Education and training:
- Bachelor of Arts (cum Laude), Dartmouth College, United States, 2004-2007
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (Hons 1) The University of Sydney, Australia, 2008-2012
- Rotating Internship, Small Animal Specialist Hospital, Sydney, Australia 2014-2015
- Speciality internship in Neurology and Surgery, Small Animal Specialist Hospital, Sydney, Australia 2015-2016
- Residency in Neurology and Neurosurgery, University of Melbourne, Australia 2016
- Residency in Neurology and Neurosurgery, University of North Carolina, United States 2016-2019
- American Kennel Club Canine Health Foundation Clinician-Scientist Fellow 2016-2018
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Neurology) 2019