Xylitol is used as a sugar substitute that is present in a variety of human food products, e.g. toothpastes, chewing gums, candies, some baked goods and peanut butter. The 2 deadly effects of xylitol are hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) and acute liver failure in dogs. Xylitol is dangerous and can be fatal to dogs at even very low doses. Signs may occur within 30 minutes to 1 hour after xylitol exposure, and include lethargy, weakness, anorexia, ataxia, vomiting, diarrhoea, seizure, collapse and coma.