The Oncology Service at VSH Hong Kong offers comprehensive consultations, diagnostics, and treatment plans for animals with all types of cancer. The VSH Hong Kong Oncology Service is the only specialized veterinary oncology service in Hong Kong. This means that all cancer patients are treated by a board certified veterinary oncologist with formal residency training and expertise in the field of veterinary oncology.
While it’s sometimes easy to think of cancer as a human disease, it also afflicts animals. And, as with humans, increased longevity of pets is accompanied by an increased incidence of cancer. At VSH Hong Kong, our goal is to provide owners with treatment options for their pets who have cancer; options which are appropriate for the specific cancer type and its biological behavior. We always strive to use the most effective treatment which also provides the best possible quality of life. We try to understand owners’ wishes for their pets, and thus help them to choose the most appropriate treatment, sometimes including the option of providing palliative care alone.
Cancer treatment for pets is a specialized discipline and requires a different approach than that of other fields of veterinary medicine.
Your family veterinarian may refer you to an oncologist if your pet has been diagnosed or is suspected to have cancer, if a diagnosis is elusive, or if your pet is not responding to standard treatments. Learn more about referral at VSH
At VSH Hong Kong, we practice according to the highest standards of medicine and ethics and are committed to advancing the field of veterinary oncology in Hong Kong.
* Consultation for pet owners with a pet diagnosed with cancer or suspected to have cancer. Consultations will be by appointment only and include:
- Reviewing the history and medical record written by the referring veterinarian as well as a physical examination of the pet
- Recommendation on further diagnostic tests to obtain a definitive diagnosis, if needed, and determine if the cancer has spread (metastasized)
- Discussion of treatment options including surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, symptomatic treatment, or a combination of 2 or more treatment modalities
- Detailed explanation of possible side effects and expected effectiveness of each treatment option
* Determining the chemotherapy protocol or symptomatic treatment and administering the treatments per protocol
* Monitoring the patient during and after the conclusion of treatment
* Telephone or e-mail consultations to referring veterinarians
VSH Hong Kong utilizes digital patient information technology, including a tablet-based treatment system to provide the most complete and thorough care possible for your pet.
VSH Hong Kong treats patients who are referred to us by their family veterinarians. Referral is not needed for patients with true emergencies, for which we are staffed 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.